Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Majic 102.3 cleans house



DCRTV reports that Radio One is making some big changes at adult urban contemporary WMMJ, Majic 102.3. With the exception of the syndicated Tom Joyner in mornings, it’s going “all music all the time.” All of the local jocks have been let go, including Olivia Foxx, Suge, Mike Chase, Alvin John Waples, as well as music director and morning show producer Chris Harris. Weekenders gone, too. The news came down at a 10 AM meeting at WMMJ’s Lanham studios. A local radio source tells DCRTV that the station, which recently ranked 2nd in the DC market PPMs, saw a ratings spike when it cut back DJ banter.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't listen to the radio much. It really sadden me tonight turning on my use to be favorite evening station and not being able to hear Mike Chase soothing sounds come through my radio. He and Alvin has helped me get through many of hard evenings and nights. I could call and speak to either I think it was more Mike Chase they were so so real and cool. They would put a smile on my face no matter if my day had been good or bad. They were like talking to a big brother and a friend. I will miss them so much. The music playing is good on 102.3 but that's why I buy cd's and still listen to tapes on my tape player. Those guys added a really special touch to my evenings when I had a chance to relax. They were part of my serenity wow this is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The format change is horrible. Whatever the new format is supposed to be, not sure. I guess the 30 & over club card is no longer good. Based on the station now sounds like all the rest that try & sounds like a weak WKYS or WPGC. Guess the new PD Jammillah Muhammad has a different taste in music than PD Kathey Brown & GM Michelle Williams. Sorry to see 102.3 go down the tubes. Playing a slow jam now & then does not appease the existing listener audience. Years ago when smoothjazz 105.9 went under & on the Internet &
    HD Radio, 105.9 on-air has changed formats 3 times in the last few years. I see that happening here, as the new format is a mix of 2 extremes trying to reach a younger set, but alienating the 30+ faithful listeners. Well, I guess it's back to the ipod.

    ReplyDelete