Thursday, July 15, 2010

Did Sheryl Underwood leave the Tom Joyner Morning Show for Steve Harvey?


Just when things couldn't get any more heated in the black radio game, comedienne Sheryl Underwood has jumped ship from her longtime gig as a personality on the nationally syndicated 'Tom Joyner Morning Show.'

And the BET Comedy Award winner isn't just fading into oblivion – like some others do in the radio game; she hightailed it over to the competition.

In the black radio industry, the buzz about Underwood's unexpected defection was likened to NBA superstar LeBron James abandoning the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.

It was officially announced that she is, in fact, the newest contributor to the top-rated 'Steve Harvey Morning Show,' which airs daily in 64 markets and boasts more than 7 million listeners.

The staunch black Republican (with a penchant for St. John's suits) will appear weekly on the syndicated show and will also serve as "guest host" when Harvey is away.

And while this news appear to be great for some; it's not the same for others.

"She has forever burned her bridge with the Tom Joyner Morning Show, Radio One and all of its affiliate companies," a source told BV Newswire. "Unlike LeBron James, the way she handled things were unethical and she'll likely regret it in the long run."

"The biggest mistake was bashing Tom on Steve's show," the insider continued. "That just wasn't good form at all!"

Underwood, who can also be regularly heard on Jamie Foxx's satellite radio show 'The Foxxhole,' appeared on Harvey's show last week. When reached by BV Newswire, she vehemently denied any wrongdoing -- noting that she first appeared on Harvey's show to promote Census 2010.

"I was just on Steve's show to promote the clubs I was in various cities," she added. "Even though I am no longer a contributor to TJMS I will continue to support Tom Joyner's Take A Loved One To The Doctor, The Virtual College Tour and HBCU's 100%...I said as much to Oscar Joyner in a very warm phone call.""This new work with Steve," she noted, "allows me the opportunity to expand my brand into different avenues. It's the chance of a lifetime. It was an offer that I couldn't refuse."

Queries to Harvey went unanswered by deadline today.

Through his publicist, Joyner issued the following diplomatic statement: "We love Sheryl Underwood and wish her the best in everything she does. She's a very funny lady."

"Between my charitable and philanthropic endeavors and producing four gospel plays coming in the next two years, I will be using all of my club and auditorium show proceeds to help others," the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. President added. "We need more work out here. I want to produce product that can change lives."

"I think with all things coming together...I can do that...I am honored that Tom [and others] saw something in me."

No comments:

Post a Comment